Tequila Beef Stew2014-07-28
Stew is one of the simplest things to make. Chop up some meat with a few different vegies then toss them into a tomato based sauce and cook all day.
- 2 pounds beef boneless chuck, tip or round, cut into 1-inch cubes or pre-cut beef for stews.
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped or 1 med onion
- 2 slices bacon, cut up
- ¼ cup carrot, chopped (1 large or 2 small)
- ¼ cup celery, chopped (1 large or 2 small)
- ¼ cup tequila
- ¾ cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans sometimes labeled chick peas
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped or 2 (15.5 ounce) cans diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
Coat beef with flour. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet until hot. Cook and stir beef in oil over medium heat until brown.
Remove beef with slotted spoon and drain. Cook and stir onion and bacon in same skillet until bacon is crisp. Stir in beef and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 hour.
This recipe freezes well so place any remaining soup in Tupperware and freeze for a future date. I don't even defrost it. I just put it in a pot on the stove on medium and wait for it to get bubbly again about an hour.