Roquefort Pear Salad with Candied Walnuts2014-04-07
- Yield : 1 large salad or two smaller ones
- Servings : 1
When the temperature starts dropping is the best time to make this beauty because the fruit is in season and it just taste like Fall. Tangy blue cheese, crisp pears, sweet caramelized walnuts, all tossed with a mustard vinaigrette. Bold flavors that will leave you wanting more.
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups mixed greens, mesclun, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 half pear - cored and sliced
- 2 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
In a skillet over medium heat add the sugar until it turns to caramel then add the walnuts and stir gently. Once coated transfer nuts onto aluminum foil and spread it out as best you can. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
For the dressing, whisk oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Remove garlic and then add mixed greens and toss lightly in dressing.
In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, and pear slices. Sprinkle with Roquefort Crumbles and Walnuts. Garnish with a drizzle of dressing around the plate.